My gaze accidentally met hers as I crossed the floor to my seat. I wish it hadn’t because her eyes were harsh and cold. They were black and empty and although I felt compelled to offer a smile, perhaps my good southern upbringing, I quickly looked away. Unfortunately, in my hurry to find a seat, I chose one painfully close to hers. I was drawn to her, not because she was appealing, quite the contrary. I was drawn to her because she was empty.
Her nose was severe and sharp and of course bears the unfortunate fate of resting between her shifty eyes. Her eyes were fixed in a stare. It was not a vacant stare, but rather a stare that suggested that she smelled something unpleasant. Every feature of her face seemed only to matter in relation to those eyes. Her eyebrows were drawn on and not very good at that. They were light and cakey which only intensified the discomfort I felt each time those eyes happened to meet mine. Her hair was an unnatural shade of reddish-orange with a sprinkling of blond highlights. It was over-processed to say the least. It was short and choppy like the silk on a waning corn crop. The sunglasses, however, that topped this straw-like hair were designer. Her chin was sharp, the perfect mate to her nose. It is quite fitting that these oddly mesmerizing features all rested on a long sinewy neck. Not long and graceful like a swan, but long, thin and lanky like a goose.
I was intent on her earrings. They were pearl, long and dangling in an exaggerated tear-drop shape. They only served to make her too long features appear longer. The earrings appeared to be vintage, as they were set in tarnished silver, or perhaps, pewter. They were not delicate, but pretty, and disturbingly out of place on her face and with her crew-neck cable knit sweater, hunter green chinos, and Burberry lined trench coat.
At last, my name was called; my order was ready which meant I finally had a reason to end the unpleasant fascination I found myself caught up in. As I crossed the floor a final time to leave the building, our eyes met briefly one last time. I walked away from this place, this woman with the hair and the eyes and I all I could think is “She should have worn diamond studs.”
No comments:
Post a Comment