I might say that I have been bitten by the blogging bug, but it is much more accurate to say that I have been shamed by my professor (and I think now friend) into picking up this blog I left a couple of years ago. The good news is, while I haven't been blogging, I have been writing most of the time. However, this summer has left me with a case of indifference, burn-out, and even questioning if my recent writing fortune is merely the result of one good streak of creativity that is never going to strike again. For the past couple of months, the sum total of my creative writing (which I now consider my work) has been some generic poems from writing exercises, a sonnet that shouldn't have been, and a twelve line poem that should be but isn't!
Reading the first couple of entries of a brand new blog written by Thomas Alan Holmes I remembered this blog I began at the urging of another fellow writer, teacher, and friend. Then, I remembered how much easier it sometimes is to say what you want to say when there are no expectations bound in what you write - no prescribed forms, no worth to measure, no red pen to mark the page with corrections. Further, I remembered that the joy of writing is to commit my thoughts, often heart and soul, and sometimes even guts to a blank page and then bask in the relief of having said exactly what I needed to put out there, even if out there in no particular place at all.
So, thank you to all the people in my life who have convinced, encouraged, prodded, and in this case shamed me into writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment