Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Loving them the purplest, reddest, yellowest

There has been a lot of talk among my three children and even my husband about whether or not I have a favorite chid. I'm sure every family with more than one child has the conversation sometime. I am immediately reminded of a book I received when I found out I was expecting baby #2 (apparently the giver of this gift has already had the "who is the favorite" discussion). The children's book, I Love You The Purplest by Barbara Joosse is still a favorite of mine although I did have to add a color to Joosse's palette when my third child was born. What is most interesting to me about this discussion is that of course, every one picks a different child as my favorite. Although lately the two oldest children stand united in their declaration that the baby is the favorite, usually my husband says I favor my oldest (son), who believes I like the middle chid(daughter) the best, who never wavers in her belief that the baby (another son) is Mama's favorite. They don't seem to realize that their inability to settle on one kid is all the proof I need, all the proof they should need, that I love them all the same. The catch of course, one that along with Joosse I have tried to explain, is that I love them all differently. I love my oldest son because he was the one and only for five years! The luxury of giving a child my undivided attention was granted only for him and we built a very special relationship during all the uninterrupted hours we spent together - hours that have sustained us both through two younger siblings. I love him the purplest! I love my middle child the best because she is the only girl and naturally I have things in common with her and am able to share experiences with her that I can't share with my boys. I love her the bluest. I love my baby the best because he is the last. I suppose I even understand the days when Kid 1 and Kid 2 agree that he is the favorite because I relish his accomplishments and experiences with a better understanding of how quickly they pass than I had with the other two. With him, there won't be another field trip to the Zoo in a couple of years, there will never be another third grade play, and when he outgrows my lap, there won't be another child to fill it. I love him the yellowest!

1 comment:

Thomas Alan Holmes said...

I am going through some of the same experiences of late, or at least intensified of late. Our youngest will be spending a last year in elementary school this year; middle kid is taller than Mom, his face is squaring up, and he's getting whiskers. Just this morning, I rented a moving van to send firstkid to university, but I also realized that in a couple of weekends, with secondkid and thirdkid at karate camp, my wife and I will be alone in the house for almost thirty-six hours.

I hope she's not getting a "honeydew" list together.

A touching blog entry . . .