Tuesday, September 13, 2011
When One Song Says Everything
A friend is playing "When You Say Nothing at All," covered by Alison Krauss, for a guitar class (forgive me if I named the wrong instrument). Since his mention of the song about a week ago, I have gone through my days softly humming or belting out (depending on my situation or more accurately my location) this and many other Alison Krauss songs. I have always been a fan, but haven't listened to much of her music lately. While searching itunes, grooveshark, etc. for her tunes I discovered that she performed a version of the song "Baby Mine" from the Disney movie Dumbo - a song that I have been singing to babies since my 22 year old niece was born. I claimed the lullaby as my own when my oldest was born and it stuck. I have spent countless hours in a rocking chair crooning this tune. In light of my ongoing emotional turmoil about my kids growing up, finding this song hit me pretty hard today. Let's just say - tears have been shed in my house tonight. Funny how one song can mean so much...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"Baby Mine" works as a song because it adapts so well to a simpler performance. If you remember the Dumbo scene, you probably remember how the visuals of Mrs. Jumbo's caring for her child, even in her confinement, emphasizes the highly orchestrated performance. It works as the most gentle song--the Krauss version works well--and the soulful cover by Bonnie Raitt would be worth tracking down.
"Baby Mine" obviously continues to affect you.
Post a Comment