My nine year old son relies on this counting rhyme to make important decisions - nine year old important decisions like whether he wants orange or blue gatorade (a favorite after school treat), pop tarts or cereal bar, shower or bath. I suspect he may also depend on this method to take multiple choice tests, but thats just a hunch. Recently, I asked him (asked him to the point of frustration) to choose between to things, likely foods, but I'm not certain. He had been particularly trying that afternoon (and he's my good kid) so when, upon my 27th request for him to state his choice he began to shake his finger at me, I began to lose it!!! His big sister quickly intervened (classic middle child - the peacemaker) and said, "Mom, what? He's doing eeny, meeny, miny, moe." How did I miss this? It is a given that if a choice needs to be made, he needs an extra moment "to pick the very best one." I took a deep breath, confident that he, in fact, was not wagging his finger in my face, and waited for him to land on the all important it. When he made his decision, he shared it with me along with this advice, "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe solves everything Mom," confident that he had just passed a beautiful nugget of wisdom on to me.
I think I'm going to try it. What should I fix for dinner? Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Should I tell my kid's teachers/coaches/friends/parent of friends what I really think some days? Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Should I register for British Poetry or American Fiction? You got it! Eeny, meeny, miny moe. My only fear, is that unlike my son who is perfectly content with whichever option turns out to be "it," I am certain that I would end up playing best two out of three, or finding some other way to manipulate the results. It certainly would make life's hard choices less stressful if we could all simply, say a rhyme, make a choice, and be content with whatever happens to be "now it."
No comments:
Post a Comment