Thursday, August 11, 2011

But It's Just Not Fair!

One of my house rules has always been that my children aren't allowed to say, "But Mom, that's not fair!" As far as I'm concerned, life isn't fair and they may as well get used to it early on. However today, I find myself overcome with the desire to scream to anyone who will listen, that it's just not fair!

Last year my eleven year old daughter had some minor health problems, among them a mild case of pneumonia. During a series of chest x-rays her doctor discovered a slight curve in her spine, likely scoliosis, and suggested we watch it for a few months. I watched until her right shoulder blade was so much higher than her left I couldn't stand to watch anymore. After another set of x-rays and a scoliosis survey later, it has been determined that she has a 28.5 degree curvature in her spine. 0 is ideal naturally, up to 10 is considered relatively normal, 20 and above requires treatment. Though I am trying not to jump to any conclusions it is difficult not to do so. See, my research to locate the best doctor and treatment facility for her has unearthed many best and worst case scenarios. With few exceptions, treatment = a very cumbersome brace, most of the day, for a long time.

Honestly, I find myself very pissed off and with an overwhelming desire to make someone understand how terribly unfair it is that my sweet girl, who for the first year isn't in the same class with the girls who have been bullying her for three years, now has to face going to school and fitting in (as 6th grade girls so long to do) with a brace wrapped around her hips and torso if we are lucky and extending to her neck and shoulders if we aren't. Why should my little girl, the most self-conscious of all my children, the only one in our family who insists upon a locked door when its her turn in the bathroom, have to bear the added burden of a disease that is treated with a big hunk of plastic and metal, and while I appreciate the efforts of the makers/sellers of said braces, make no mistake the fact that they are available in butterfly print does not make them a fashion do in junior high. It's not fair that the available alternative involves inserting metal staples into the spine of a precious eleven year old child.

It isn't fair that this is happening to her, nor would it be fair if it were happening to another child instead - thus my aforementioned rule. So for today, cause I've got nothing else, I will go with the answer I received when I cried to my lifelong friend, "I just don't know what I'm gonna go." She said," I don't either, but you have been handed this thing to deal with and you will just be able to do it. You just will! " Sure do hope she's right!

No comments: