The series of cause and effect relationships in my life this week are rooted in the defunct WB series Charmed. Other factors in play are my massive headache that is approaching day 6 and my on-again off-again insomnia. Maybe the headache is the cause of the insomnia recurrence, at any rate I turned to Netflix and Charmed to cure the latter. After watching five of eight seasons of the scantily clad, ass-kicking good witches, I have decided they are only perpetuating both headache and insomnia. It may be a good time to admit that I chose Charmed as my distraction because Julian McMahon (of Nip/Tuck fame) co-stars in season 3-5, and well, he's nice to look at. Still, I like those sisters and their superpowers.
Today in particular, I am contemplating how motherhood might be different if I had just one of the Halliwell sister's powers. If I had Pheobe's power of premonition, I could foresee the bad decisions of my children and head them off at the pass, and if said decisions happened to involve a bloodsucking Vampire or an aneurysm inducing Banchee, then I would levitate and drop kick them into oblivion. If by chance, I could manage to pull off Alyssa Milano's pixie hairdo at the same time, I would consider that bonus.
Now, if my Mama powers were like Piper's I could merely freeze the moment in which each bad decision was made and alter events to work in my child's favor. Then, with a mere flick of my fingers could incinerate the evil that seeks to destroy my children. Since Piper is the only witch/mother of the three, it seems as though her role would be easiest to assume. Yet, it should be noted that Piper's kids have magical powers as well, so the whole Mom gig comes pretty easy for her.
Knowing as I do that as much as I would like to, I am never going to be able to anticipate or prevent every bad decision my children make, or stop these decisions in their tracks and alter the outcome and consequences, it seems logical that Paige's power of orbing (either herself to another place or any given object to her) is the Mama power that would serve me best. With her power, I could be at my children's side simply by willing myself there. Additionally, with enough concentration I could take the things that cause them pain and will them to into my own hands.
As mothers, as parents, isn't the most we can hope to accomplish is being there for our children as they deal with the consequences of bad choices and to willfully take on some of that pain (as if we have a choice) hoping that by doing so, perhpas we can lessen their load?
Come to think of it, perhaps I am charmed after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment