Thursday, August 14, 2008

The First Day of School

Tomorrow is the first day of a brand new school year for all three of my kids. It is always a bittersweet time of year for me. I will miss them. I will miss waking up (whenever we want) in the morning with at least one of them wrapped around me. I will miss days at the swimming pool. I will miss the sound of their dirt-bikes going round and round in the backyard. I will miss their chatter, the sing-song of their little, and even not so little, voices. I will miss the footsteps up and down the hall, and even the slamming of the screen door. Many days, I will wish that Jed were outside pushing his trucks or riding his bicycle. Others, I will hope to see a trail of crayons that undoubtedly, lead to Mallory, consumed with her artwork. I will even fold the blankets with a sigh, wishing Luke were reclined somewhere in the house covered up with one of them. Most of all, I will miss the possibility that lies within all carefree summer days. Every morning is an adventure waiting to happen, or simply the choice to do absolutely nothing at all. There is a certain magic that fades when the days become structured with alarm clocks, homework, football practice, dance class and bedtimes. The first day of school means my babies are growing up.
On the other hand, the first day of school means my babies are growing up. Now their days will be filled with the incredible adventure of learning. Their adventures will unfold in the pages of a book. The playground will take the place of the backyard. School is the place where they will make friends that will last a lifetime, something I certainly cannot offer at home. There, the foundation for a lifetime of learning is being set. At school, they will develop their sense of style and their sense of self. While Luke learns Algebra, Jed will master his ABCs. This year Mallory will learn her multiplication tables and cursive writing. As hard as it is to see them go, I would never deny them these rites of passage.
Tomorrow, we will all wake up earlier than we want to. With excitement and fear, we will all go to school. Luke will gladly go right in, he is an 8th grader now, he has rank this year. I imagine I will have a tiny hand in each of my own as I walk Mallory and Jed in to school. Mallory also has rank this year, she is moving upstairs. She is in third grade now. Jed will very reluctantly go to first grade this year. I’m sure he will be the hardest one to let go of, as well as the one who least wants to let go.
There will no doubt be tears in the morning, my own. I will come home to a quite house where I will go about my business of maintaining their roots, all the while they will be out spreading their beautiful wings.

No comments: