Friday, August 29, 2008

My Politics - They are A'Changin

For the first time in my life, I watched every major speech of the Democratic Convention. Like so many people, I inherited my politics rather than choosing them. You see, I was born a Southern, Baptist, Conservative Republican. My parents were Republicans. Beyond that, my father was a very conservative Baptist minister. We didn't really talk so much about politics in our house, it was just understood. In the Pritchard family we voted for those who are pro-life.
Let me say, my parents are intelligent people. I am sure that many conversations, discussions and decisions regarding politics were discussed out of my earshot. It is not my intention to say that my parents voted irresponsibly. They believed in the principals, values and policies of Republican candidates. In a conversation with my mother just the other day about the upcoming election, I was reminded just how deep these beliefs are. I distinctly remember our family gathered around the television set, watching the election results come in when Regan defeated Carter. I also remember, as a child, with absolutely no idea what I was talking about, proudly going to school after Regan was inaugurated, declaring that it was he, not Carter, who was responsible for the release of the American hostages from Iran. My taking the title of "Republican" was really no different than the dark hair and eyes I inherited from both my parents, or my fathers last name that I proudly carry, it simply was.
Having said all of this, the first major vote I cast was for Bill Clinton. I didn't vote for Clinton because I thought he was the best man for the job (turns out he was), nor did I vote for him because I agreed with his policies, I didn't even know what his policies were. I didn't even vote for him because I disliked the first President Bush. I voted for Clinton because I was nineteen, away at college and I could.
I eventually returned to my roots, in more ways than one. I came home, became a wife and mother and a Republican. With great pride and conviction, I took my children in to the voting booth along side me to vote for George W. Bush - TWICE! I am always Southern. I too, have raised my children as Baptist. Personally, I don't feel that abortion would ever be an option for me. I value my traditional, two parent, three children family. I am proud that in the small community where I live, we stand before kick off and pledge to the American flag and bow our heads to pray for the safety and sportsmanship of our children that are about the gather on the football field.
Eight years later, because I am a middle-class wife and mother of three, I have begun to realize that the ideals I have used to define my politics are really my values, and these will not change no matter how I mark my ballot in November. A Democrat in office will not force me to become an atheist, or God forbid, a Methodist :), that is my choice, not because I am a Republican, but because I am an American. My family dynamic is not going to change anytime soon. I am going to live with my husband, children and dog no matter who lives in the White House. As long as I am rooted in this community, we will probably continue to pray for our athletes and school officials. As values, these are noble. What I have come to realize is that as politics, they are selfish.
My personal feelings against abortion are not worth more than my neighbor's choice to protect her health and life however she sees fit. Your family may not look like mine, but that doesn't mean you are not a family.
What has changed for me is the kind of car I can afford to put gas in, the quality of education my children are receiving and the price I pay for our medication, not to mention groceries. These are among the issues of politics. Washington cannot change my faith, but they can alter my finances. The President cannot define my family, he can defend my country. Government is not going to bare and raise my children, but they may help educate them.
This past week, I listened as Michelle Obama talked about her girls and her commitment to them. I felt a link to her, not as a Democrat, but as a mother. I watched as Hillary Clinton graciously turned over her eighteen million votes for president, eighteen million votes for a woman, to an equally unlikely candidate for President. I hope my daughter goes through her life armed with the accomplishments of this woman. I realized, all these years later, that my uninformed vote for Bill Clinton, had indeed been the right one. I got to know Joe Biden and realized that his sons and family are far more important to him than the Senate Floor. Finally, I joined the eighty-five million people who gathered in Denver to watch Barack Obama accept the historical nomination for President of the United States of America. For the first time, I watched the entire Democratic Convention. I am impressed. I am convinced!

1 comment:

Jan Graham said...

This is so good! You and I are sisters~I remember voting for Carter and feeling like I did it more out of rebellion than an informed decision--as with your Clinton vote, it seems I made the right choice. I guess I canceled out your father's vote! What does your mother say now?

Keep writing!