Friday, August 1, 2008

Kick Them When They're Down

It seems as though many people use random, other people as their reason for not actively participating in a religious group. I never have understood this. If you don't want to go to church, then don't go. If you don't believe in God, then you don't. Take responsibility for these decisions though. Why is it necessary to blame some person? We are all, after all, imperfect humans. God (mine or yours) should not be accepted or rejected based on the actions of any mere mortal.
Here in the Bible Belt, where it seems there is a church every 1.5 miles in any direction you travel, it is not uncommon to hear "If he/she is what Christianity is about then I don't want anything to do with it." Get real people. We all know that people and their actions are not what Christianity or any other religion is all about. I understand that as Christians we are supposed to live an exemplary life, one worthy of being looked on by others, but again, I say that we are all only human. Do I have to go here? Nobodys perfect!!
I have always proudly maintained that my Christianity is personal. Growing up the daughter of a Baptist Minister, I have no doubt, attended more church services than most. I still attend church weekly. However, my relationship with Christ is not about a church service, a social hour. It is certainly not based on the actions of others. Wouldn't we all be forever disappointed it we counted on some person to meet our spiritual needs? I have always believed that I had it figured out. People are looking for some justification to reject religion. Why do they feel they need an excuse? Having said all that, I fear that I am becoming one of those people. I have always believed that a place of worship is an oasis, a retreat to escape to when the cares of this world bring you down, quite literally a sanctuary. A place to begin your week on a positive note and maybe get a little re-charge on Wednesday night. Mostly, I have believed that the people within that sanctuary were like minded people to love you, lift you up in thought, deed and prayer and help you up when you fall. Oh, have I been wrong.
Unfortunately, I clearly see where all of the nay-sayers of my past are coming from. All those folks who "don't want any part of religion if he/she represents what it is all about." I am here to give them a big "AMEN!" Recently, I have experienced some discontent in my life. I haven't nearly met the pious standards of some of my fellow "church members." Suddenly, these good Christians ( I use the term loosely) have determined that I am no longer worthy to share Bible stories with their children, organize their Christmas Pageants, or teach their children songs of praise. At a time in my life when I most needed support, prayer, lifting up, encouraged - when I most needed the fellowship of my particular body of believers, they collectively kicked me!!!!
So, if those people are what religion is all about, I want no part of it! I will be perfectly content to
watch Joel Osteen on Cable TV on Sunday morning. At least he smiles at me.
Thankfully, at the end of the day; or the beginning, for that matter, my first instincts were right. My Christianity is not about a building with pews and a pulpit, nor is it about the other imperfect people in the pews or behind the pulpit. It is personal, just as I always suspected. It is a relationship between me and someone who will never judge me and will always pick me up when I am down, not kick me.
I am guilty of allowing people to cloud my vision. I have slept in on Sunday for too many weeks. My children have missed too many Sunday School lessons. Because I value the fellowship of other believers, because it is important to me for my children to "go to church", I will continue to take my personal religion to a public place, just probably not the public place I am accustomed to.
I am happy that the only relationship that matters is the one that I hold dear in my heart. Because, if all the judgmental, ignorant people of this world were what spirituality is all about, then I don't want any part of it either.

No comments: