As a child, I used to find candy bars in the most unexpected places – a desk drawer, a dish in the china cabinet, or most often, inside the crock-pot.For a while, I thought I must be incredibly good or at least incredibly lucky to have found all these treasures. I took me a while to realize that neither was true.
The true reason there were Hershey Bars with almonds and Mr. Goodbars in our crock-pot is because my Mom put them there. More specifically, she hid them there. Imagine, a mother hiding candy from her three precious children.
Also the mother of three, it is no longer so hard for me to imagine. I don’t particularly care for Mr. Goodbars, but many times I have stashed a piece of chocolate or coconut or cheese cake in the back of the refrigerator and waited for all the kids to go to sleep so I could eat it without having to share.
I wonder if Mom felt the complete relief of the long day’s end while she ate her candy bar in solitude. Did she cherish the few minutes of alone time that came along with the candy? Were the moments, thinking only of herself, really a bigger treat than the chocolate itself? I wonder if her Hershey Bar was a “guilty pleasure” like my chocolate cake has often been.
Moms get so few moments to enjoy their own company. Time alone is rare. Time alone with chocolate, even more so. There have been times when my cheesecake equaled my sanity.
So Mom, if one of the hiding spots I unearthed, one of the candy bars I ate, deprived you of one of these priceless moments, then I am truly sorry.
Mom still has a sweet-tooth. Her taste has matured, somewhat, although not her behavior. Now she hides Dove Chocolates and Hershey’s Bliss. She even hides her Cokes every now and then. I guess one can never outgrow being a mother. I sure am glad.
No comments:
Post a Comment