Saturday, August 2, 2008

Songbird

It tuns out that my six year old is a singer. I couldn't be more proud. Finally, someone else in my family that, not only understands, but is willing to experience the joy of random singing.
I have always been a singer. I sing in the shower, in church, in the car, at my high school graduation, into hairbrush microphones, at funerals, along with the music playing in the grocery store, and at an occasional wedding. I sing! I prefer informal singing. I would much rather belt out a too loud, out of my range version of Holdin' Out For a Hero than a subdued Lord's Prayer. I know the words to an unusual assortment of songs. This often results in me carrying on conversations in lyric, or breaking bad on a song that relates to a conversation going on around me. My oldest son thinks I know a song about every subject (he's pretty accurate). The other day when he was showing off a new pair of Michael Jordan high tops, I serenaded him with my best version of Shania Twain's "SHOES." He thought I made it up, but it is a real song, really! Sometimes I like to summons my husband to the next room with the lyrics of "Love Is Strange." You know the one, "Lover boy, oh lover boy! Come here lover boy!" I suspect this is annoying to non-singers, and I am surrounded by them.
Imagine my surprise and utter delight when I realized that my six year old son, the most unlikely of all my children, is a singer. My oldest son has a beautiful voice and, in fact, has used this talent in church several times. He doesn't sing for fun though. Turns out its Jed, the baby, who appreciates the joy of singing for no reason at all.
I should have seen it coming, when before he could speak, he was "ooh oohing" along with the Vonage commercial. Or when he toddled through the house singing " Hello, hello", Target's theme song. However, it is only lately that I have come to recognize his absent-minded singing as something we have in common.
The great thing about Jed's singing, is he doesn't really know the words, so you never know what is going to come out of his mouth. He gets the tune right, so I always have a pretty good idea of what he is singing. Just the other day, he walked into my room singing "Nothing feels better than a dress sharp man." A six-year old version of ZZ Top, of course. He is also very versatile in his musical interest. Among his favorites are The Magic (National) Anthem, "Victory in Jesus", an old hymn and "Baby, Come Back." He sings them loud, out of key and without reserve. I love it.
My little songbird is testament to the idea that our children are always watching us, always aware of what we are doing and normally trying to imitate us. I like that he picked up this eccentricity from me.
I hope that random singing brings Jed as much joy in his life as it has brought to mine.

No comments: